After seeing so many cute Easter-themed bakes and DIY projects on Pinterest this week I felt inspired to dip my toes into the pool with my own creation. A combination of my favourite snack and a childhood treat, these cute cupcakes are super easy yet they look so impressive!
The cupcakes are chocolate flavoured sponge, topped with chocolate frosting, a chocolatey nest and then finished off with a couple of mini eggs – basically, they scream Easter.
Let me know if you try these out, I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
100g self-raising flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
FOR THE NESTS:
30g shreddies, cornflakes or any cereal of choice
50g melted milk chocolate
FOR THE FROSTING:
300g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter
40g cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 170°C and line your muffin tray with your chosen cases. I got these gold foil cases from my local baking shop, I love them so much!
- Begin by placing the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to mix all the ingredients together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, and then pour half into the dry mixture and mix until smooth. Then add in the rest of the liquid and mix for about 3 minutes until you have a smooth, runny mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out completely clean. Then leave to cool while you prepare the decoration.
- To make the buttercream frosting, simply mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk with an electric mix until thick and smooth. Fill a piping bag with the frosting a pipe a thick ring on the cupcakes so that you have a space to place your nest later.
- To make the nests, crush your cereal and mix in the melted chocolate. See, I told you it was easy!
- To assemble the nests, place a spoonful in the middle of the buttercream and then pop a few mini eggs on top to finish. And you’re done!